6,835,000 pageviews


Friday, July 23, 2021

Stephen King on the Value of Story

     All my life as a writer I have been committed to the idea that in fiction the story holds value over every other facet of the writer's craft; characterization, theme, mood, none of those things is anything if the story is dull. And if the story does hold you, all else can be forgiven...

     I'm not any big-deal fancy writer. If I have any virtue it's that I know that. I don't have the ability to write the dazzling prose line. All I can do is entertain people. I think of myself as an American writer...

     My greatest virtue is that I know better than to evade my responsibilities by the useless exercise of trying to write fancy prose. I entertain people by giving them good stories dealing with the content of ordinary American ives, which is the best, truest tradition of American fiction.

Stephen King, Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing, 2000

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim, im a private investigator, i met you in boardman Ohio at barnes and noble you were promoting a book about an amish murder. My partner and michael antonoff were retained by a&e to do a reality show depicting real life cult murder type crimes in ohio. i did some research on cases that facsinated me and the first one i came upon was the father robinson murder case, which at the time of conviction i felt was totally bogus. if your interested in working with us on this heres my email,. renelanzaro@gmail.com.thx

    ReplyDelete